November – 52 week Illustration Challenge

Week 44: Spain – acrylic paints

I really enjoyed painting this illustration of my flamenco dancing flamingoes. I based it on a similar one from last year’s challenge of some foxtrotting foxes here: Week 36 –  2015

week-44-spain

 

Week 45: Zebra – acrylic paints

Then I came up with the idea of a zip-lining zebra! I discovered a sketch book of canvas paper. I love the effect it has and how nice it is to paint on.

week-45-zebra

 

Week 46: Treehouse – copic markers

During this week a friend of mine was travelling around Australia and shared a photo of a tree – circa 1858 Johann Herbig and his wife Anna lived in the base of a very large gum tree to save money while they built a house. They had two children while living in the tree but altogether they had 16 children. Can you spot them?

EPSON MFP image

 

Week 47: Buildings – gelli print and digital

week-47-buildings-digital-and-print

 

Week 48: Clock – polystyrene print

I was late with this illustration. I couldn’t for the life of me think what to do and then I saw this blog post at Mrs Knight’s Smart Artists and it reminded me of how much I love to print using polystyrene tiles. These are not easy to get hold of in Australia. You can see more of my work printing on polystyrene tiles here: Week 9: Texture 2015

week-48-clock-2

Well that is it for another month and we have only one month left to go till the end of the year. This week the theme was ‘Gift,’ which I have thankfully completed on time but you will have to wait until the very last day of this year to see it. And here are the secret santa gifts me and my writer group buddies give to each other at this year’s Xmas dinner:

screen-shot-2016-12-13-at-5-52-02-pm

And here we are. My invaluable group of writerly friends that critique my writing to make it a stronger story for the future reader:

picture-this-down-the-rabbit-hole-critique-groups-xmas-dinner-2016

It was a great night full of love and laughter. Have a Christmas/holiday.

Bye for now!

#illo52weeks Week 9: Texture

As usual I mulled over this week’s theme of ‘Texture’ until I came up with an idea of what image I wanted to do and what medium I felt would work the best.

I was going to do a Kookaburra and engrave it out of a rubber tile. But that didn’t work so I came up with plan B.

Drawing into polystyrene tiles is so satisfying and lots of fun.  It also comes naturally with a texture of it’s own. I decided to do an old hut as I thought about bricks, corrugated roofs, etc.

These are the things I used:

A roller, a polystyrene tile and a pencil
A roller, a polystyrene tile and a pencil

I drew my image onto the tile using anything that has a point on it. Pencils will do, or kebab sticks, etc.

To make the square shapes I pressed a piece of Lego into the tile.

I cut out the background with a craft knife. Be careful not to snap delicate bits off, as you can see the chimney is missing.

Then roll your paint over the tile – remember that you will turn the tile over and therefore get the mirror image of what you have drawn. I used Acrylic paint.

Black paint on white paper
Black paint on white paper
White paint on parcel paper
White paint on parcel paper

I prefer the white on brown – it feels more rural – but it is always interesting trying out different colours. You can keep cutting out different parts and rolling another colour over the tile to add colour to your artwork.

Next weeks theme is: NIGHT

#illo52weeks – week 26: Clouds

This week I tried a new medium: Gelli art. I had so  much fun with it as did my nine year old daughter.

I watched a few you tube videos and videos on Pinterest to see what you can create with it. This is what I did for this weeks theme:

Clouds No. 1 – Polar bear under snow cloud

Acrylic paint rolled onto the gelli plate

cut out card templates block the paint from covering the whole sheet of paper that I lay ontop of the plate

 

Screen Shot 2014-06-29 at 8.30.08 pm

 

Clouds No.2 – Balloon floating up to the clouds

This time I used more than one colour, plus cloud templates. I then experimented with brushing paint across the Gelli plate (yellow, white, red) and laid the paper down to add to the first print.

Screen Shot 2014-07-01 at 5.05.32 pm

Thanks goes to Jess Racklyeft who demonstrated this technique within her own amazing illustrations as a fellow participant in Tania McCartney’s 52 week Illustration Challenge.