At the beginning of the year I wrote about a writing challenge I had decided to join: Participant Badge for 12 x 12 in 2012. Then half way through the year I wrote about it again to mark a milestone: Halfway through the 12 x 12 writing challenge. Now we have come to the end of the year and it is time to write the final update about the challenge and how I went with it.
I am glad to say I did it, I managed to write 12 manuscript drafts for picture books and I am now looking forward to rereading them again in the new year. I look forward to editing and rewriting the manuscripts until they are polished and ready to be submitted to the big wide world of publishing houses. During the journey I learnt many tips on writing:
- On the very first page start with a strong sentence – let the reader know who the story is about, where they are, when the story is happening and what the problem may be
- Try to show the story in the words you are using, rather than tell the obvious in story (something which the illustrator will do for you)
- Make sure your character grows in the journey of trying to achieve their goal
- Use fresh language that will be a pleasure to listen to
- resolve your story with a satisfying end!
I’d like to ‘Thank’ Julie Hedlund for creating the writing challenge and if you have also completed the challenge, well done!